How to avoid emergency plumbing issues in Scarborough?
With a good maintenance routine in place, homeowners and renters can avoid making emergency calls to plumbers in Scarborough. Knowing how to properly care for your faucets, pipes, and plumbing system can help you save a lot of money and stress. You and your family can take small, simple steps to avoid most plumbing issues, including clogged drains, running toilets, leaks, etc.
You need to be proactive in your repairs and maintenance. Try to prevent problems from occurring, and know how to handle them if they do.
Here are a few things you can do to prevent emergency plumbing issues:
- Always check when flushing that the toilet bowl is not filling up too much. Make sure nothing falls into the toilet. If you live with small children, make sure they don’t throw anything in the toilet. One of the biggest reasons people call for emergency plumbing is because the toilet is stopped up or overflowing. Items such as baby wipes and paper towels are not meant to be flushed, even if you have a strong toilet. They can block a drain line, especially in older neighborhoods.
- Be careful with the drain in your kitchen sink. Don’t let food crumbs wash down the drain. Wipe the dishes out over the trashcan before you put them into the sink to wash or soak. Tell your family to start doing this as well.
- Be extra careful during holiday seasons if you have more visitors at your house. Your drains will will be put to work more than usual, and you might have to wait longer to get a plumber for an emergency that occurs over the holidays.
- Don’t forget about the drains in the bathroom sink and bathtub. Soap bits, shampoo, hair, bath oils or gels, etc… can accumulate and clog the drain after a while. Fibers from cloths and towels can also wash down the drain and clog the pipes. You can always try dislodging these with the use of a specially designed sink plunger. If that does not seem to work, try pouring extremely hot water down the drain. The heat may break up the soap scum as well as organic compounds that might be within the clog.
- Don’t turn your water all the way on when taking a shower, as the pipes might not be able to handle high water pressure. It puts stress on the plumbing system and increases the risk of broken pipes. You can get hose bib scales to measure the water pressure. Never let the water pressure go above the normal levels.
- Confirm with a plumber if it is okay to use over-the-counter drain cleaning products. If not used correctly, these drain-clearing products can do more harm than good. They contain powerful and potentially toxic chemicals, which can also be harmful to your skin and lungs. You could just end up damaging the drain pipes when using these types of products, and you may end up having to make an emergency plumbing call after all.
Keeping these guidelines in mind and knowing how to take good care of your drains will prevent the need to make emergency calls to plumbers in Scarborough. It will also help you save a lot of money over the years.
How do I find a reputable drain service in the city of Scarborough?
There are many companies in the Scarborough area that handle drain repairs, backups and emergencies and many of them are quite good and very professional. Unfortunately not everyone attacks a plumbing job with the same fervor, so as a homeowner it is a good idea to spend some time doing a little research to find a reputable plumber in the area that can come out and assess your situation and give you an estimate for the job in a timely manner. When you have a backup that is flooding sewage into your home, there is not a lot of time compare and contrast each plumber so it is highly advisable to do this research prior to having an issue. Some plumbers like Waterman specialize in customer service and are dedicated to give homeowners a fair price and clear assessment of what is causing the drain problem and how to resolve it for the long term. Read More >
Under what circumstances should I call 24-hour emergency plumbing services in Scarborough?
There are many ways to classify a plumbing issue as an emergency, but the general rule of thumb would be situation that you cannot contain or suppress on your own. Of course, this also depends on your level of mechanical inclination, which means one man’s simple, leaky faucet could be another’s backed up sewer nightmare. Not matter the problem you have, there are plumbers like Waterman in the Scarborough area that can resolve your issue. Generally speaking, ruptured pipes, sewage backups and flooding of any kind are all worthy emergencies that require a 24-hour service call.Read More >
What plumbing services can I expect to find in Scarborough?
When you choose to make renovations, repairs or improvements to your home, it is best to take a good, hard look at your own mechanical aptitude when deciding how much of the work you will be able to perform on your own. This can be a humbling experience when someone makes an honest assessment of his or her own abilities, but it is also a very wise choice. Never is this more the case than when it comes to plumbing. Plumbing services are plentiful in the city of Scarborough and you would do well to use them when you encounter a leak, blockage or backup, no matter the size. Plumbing professionals like Waterman have successfully been in business for many years and employ a team of master plumbers so you don’t have to labour over the decision to attempt a repair yourself.Read More >
I called several plumbing/drain companies for an estimate to unclogg my bathtub drain and Jim was the most reasonable in price. I found Jim to be very punctual, quick and efficient. I also had Jim quote on two much larger drain jobs, he took the time to professionally explain the scope of work needed with diagrams and gave a fair price.
The owner, Jim, was recommended to us by a friend who had a damaged (roots) sewer line, as we did, and used his services. We have nothing but good things to say about Jim and his crew. From the onset Jim was prompt, straight forward and very transparent about options.
Recent Posts From The Blog
Waterman Plumbing Toronto – Best of TrustedPros Award 2015January 30, 2015
Winter Plumbing Safety Tips for HomeownersJanuary 30, 2015
Tub Drain Removal OverviewJanuary 30, 2015
Why It’s So Important to Have a Sump Pump as Part of Your Home Plumbing SystemJanuary 30, 2015
Preparing for Trenchless Sewer Line ReplacementJanuary 30, 2015
A Basic Guide to Hot Water Heater TroubleshootingJanuary 30, 2015
Choosing and Maintaining the Right Machine for Drain Cleaning ReplacementJanuary 30, 2015
How to Remove an Old Style Tub Drain and Replace It with Lift and Turn StopperJanuary 30, 2015
Tips for Preventing Common Winter Plumbing ProblemsJanuary 30, 2015
Request a Quote
Contact Us for Drain Installation in Toronto and Other Plumbing Projects.
24/7 Emergency Service Available!