What do plumbers in Mississauga recommend homeowners do to maintain their plumbing?
There are a number of things you can do to maintain your plumbing system. Maintenance ranges from simple tasks such as making sure you’re not clogging your drains to more complicated tasks such as performing water pressure tests. Performing regular maintenance on your plumbing system will reduce the need for calling emergency plumbers in Mississauga. It will also save you a lot of stress, time, and money.
Here are some plumbing maintenance tips recommended by plumbers:
- Have leaks handled immediately. Even a tiny leak can result in a lot of wasted water in very little time. Always keep an eye on the faucets and check under every sink in the house at least once a week – even sinks that you don’t use very often. Addressing leaks or drips early will help you conserve a lot of water and help save on water costs. Also, take care of your faucets. Remove the aerators and clean them at least once a year to ensure a smooth, efficient flow of water.
- Homeowners should also know how to maintain their water heaters properly. You might want to inspect yours three or four times a year. If there is a yellow flame or visible soot, you should call for a professional right away. You can also perform a sediment check by draining a gallon of water from the heater once every few months. Doing this will eliminate any sediment accumulation that might be at the bottom of the heater.
- Know the location of all of the water and waste water service pipelines that cross your property. Make sure those areas are accessible. Do not plant anything over the spots where the lines cross.
- Be on the lookout for signs of corrosion. In addition to leaks, corrosion can also lead to a contaminated water supply. You can check for corrosion by looking at pipes/valves. Corroded brass or copper is identifiable by green stains. Corroded steel is identifiable by orange or yellow stains. Also, check the toilet tank regularly to see if anything looks rusty. If so, have that part replaced immediately.
- Learn how to tackle common problems such as a dripping faucet or clogged drain. Small plumbing emergencies can usually be taken care of with a bit of knowledge and a tool kit. There are plenty of how-to guides on how to handle these problems.
- Check the water pressure on a regular basis. Turn on each faucet in the house, one by one, and make sure that the water is coming out at a steady flow. If there seems to be a decrease in the pressure, there might be a build-up of sediment in the plumbing system. Call a plumber for advice.
- Try to prevent clogged drains. Don’t let soap, hair, food bits, etc… accumulate in the drains – clean them out regularly. Don’t flush too much down the toilet at once, either. Baby wipes and wet hygiene wipes are not meant to be flushed down the toilet, even if it says they’re “flushable” on the package.
- Check for leaks. Some indications that there might be hidden leakage include a wobbly toilet, unexplained changing in water meter readings, unexplained mildew on walls and floors, foul smells, etc.
Plumbers in Mississauga recommend these maintenance guidelines to homeowners and business owners in order to prevent large plumbing emergencies. If there ever is an emergency, however, despite your best efforts, you can always call a company such as Waterman that provides 24/7 assistance.
I called several plumbing/drain companies for an estimate to unclogg my bathtub drain and Jim was the most reasonable in price. I found Jim to be very punctual, quick and efficient. I also had Jim quote on two much larger drain jobs, he took the time to professionally explain the scope of work needed with diagrams and gave a fair price.
The owner, Jim, was recommended to us by a friend who had a damaged (roots) sewer line, as we did, and used his services. We have nothing but good things to say about Jim and his crew. From the onset Jim was prompt, straight forward and very transparent about options.
Recent Posts From The Blog
Waterman Plumbing Toronto – Best of TrustedPros Award 2015January 30, 2015
Winter Plumbing Safety Tips for HomeownersJanuary 30, 2015
Tub Drain Removal OverviewJanuary 30, 2015
Why It’s So Important to Have a Sump Pump as Part of Your Home Plumbing SystemJanuary 30, 2015
Preparing for Trenchless Sewer Line ReplacementJanuary 30, 2015
A Basic Guide to Hot Water Heater TroubleshootingJanuary 30, 2015
Choosing and Maintaining the Right Machine for Drain Cleaning ReplacementJanuary 30, 2015
How to Remove an Old Style Tub Drain and Replace It with Lift and Turn StopperJanuary 30, 2015
Tips for Preventing Common Winter Plumbing ProblemsJanuary 30, 2015
Request a Quote
Contact Us for Drain Installation in Toronto and Other Plumbing Projects.
24/7 Emergency Service Available!